Parent Partnership
Norfolk Parent Partnership
 Home  spacer  Jargon Buster  spacer  Contact Us  spacer  Feedback  spacer  Site Map Search:  Search Site 
Who Are We?
Notice Board
Annual Review
Statutory Assessments
Exclusions from School
Funding in mainstream schools
Helping Children in Pre-School
Helping Children in School
Support & Information
Finding out about a school
What if we cannot agree
Working together to help your child
Useful Links
Independent Parental Supporters
Print This Page
Funding for children with special education needs in mainstream school
How are schools funded?   Back to First Page   How is the School Specific Allocation worked out?

How does the Local Authority know how much extra money to put into schools for pupils with special educational needs?


Going to school
The money each school gets for children with SEN is divided into three parts:
1. Basic School Allocation - this helps pay towards the cost of a Special Education Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) and other SEN expenditure such as training.
2. School Specific Allocation - this money pays for children at Early Years Action and School Action, Early Years Action Plus and School Action Plus and a contribution towards children who have statements and need individual or small group support.
3. Pupil Specific Allocation - the local authority helps the school to fund the statements of children who need a high level of support.